Friday, May 30, 2014

Expert explains how to protect yourself from hackers, after Apple users were hit by iPhone and iPad scam


A group of Apple customers had their devices hacked by scammers this week.

APPLE users were sent into a panic when a particularly nasty scam held their devices ransom earlier this week.
The Australian Government’s Stay Smart Online initiative has released a high-priority alert about the hacking event, and the NSW Police has also warned its Facebook followers about the dangers.
Now, Crispin Kerr, the Asia-Pacific managing director of online security company Webroot, has shared his insights into how the scam worked and what Aussies can do to protect themselves in the future.
Hackers held iPhones to ransom.
Hackers held iPhones to ransom. Source: News Limited
HOW WAS THE HACKING ACHIEVED?
Mr Kerr said the Apple devices themselves had not been compromised.
The hackers gained access remotely by logging into the users’ Apple storage system, iCloud.
From there, they activated the Find My Phone feature, which allows users to lock down the device remotely in case of theft.
“It is unlikely — but not impossible — that Apple itself was hacked since the hack primarily targeted Australian users,” Mr Kerr said.
“A popular third-party website or service was most likely hacked and user credentials were attained this way.
“Because most users use the same passwords for multiple sites and services, passwords attained from other sources were likely used to gain access to iCloud.”
Apple released an official statement about the hacking yesterday.
“Apple takes security very seriously and iCloud was not compromised during this incident,” it said.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

MR & MRS WEST.....KIM SHARED PICTURES....

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West at their wedding (c) Kim Kardashian Instagram

Kim Kardashian has shared pictures from her wedding. 
The reality TV star posted two pictures of her marrying Kanye West at the Forte di Belvedere in Florence, Italy, at the weekend on her Instagram page. 

In one shot he can be seen holding her hand as their guests clap the newlyweds, and in theother they are embraced in a kiss. 

She simply captioned the pictures: "Mr. and Mrs. Kanye West."

The pictures show off Kim's elegant Givenchy haute couture gown, while Kanye looks particularly smart in custom fitted Givenchy tuxedo.

After the ceremony, the happy couple and their wedding party enjoyed a lavish reception, which included a four-course meal and seven-tiered wedding cake. 

West gave a 20-minute speech, and both mother and father of the bride Kris and Bruce Jenner spoke to wish the couple well. 

Kim and West's first dance was to All of Me, which was performed live by their friend John Legend, who also raised a toast to them. 

Kim's sister, Khloe, has also posted a picture from the event, of her gazing over the Italian skyline. 

She captioned it: "E vissero felici e contenti..." which is Italian for "And they lived happily ever after..." 

Following their wedding celebrations - which started in Paris, France, on 23 May - the couple have now moved on to Ireland, where they are enjoying a honeymoon in Cork, Ireland, staying at the exclusive Castlemartyr Resort.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Obasanjo holds talks with Boko Haram to free Chibok schoolgirls



Nigeria’s ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo has met with people close to Boko Haram in an attempt to broker the release of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls, a source close to the talks told AFP.


The meeting took place last weekend at Obasanjo’s farm in southern Ogun state and included relatives of some senior Boko Haram fighters as well as intermediaries and the former president, the source said.

“The meeting was focused on how to free the girls through negotiation,” said the source who requested anonymity, referring to the girls seized on April 14 from the remote northeastern town of Chibok, Borno state.

Reports of the talks emerged as Nigeria’s Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, said the girls had been located while casting doubt on the prospect of rescuing them by force.

Obasanjo, who left office in 2007, has previously sought to negotiate with the insurgents, including in September 2011 after Boko Haram bombed the United Nations headquarters in Abuja.

Then, he flew to the Islamists’ base in the Borno state capital, Maiduguri, to meet relatives of former Boko Haram leader Mohammed Yusuf, who was killed in police custody in 2009.

The 2011 talks did not help stem the violence and some at the time doubted if Obasanjo was dealing with people who were legitimately capable of negotiating a ceasefire.

Spokesmen for the former head of state, who remains an influential figure in Nigerian politics, could not be reached to comment on the latest reported Boko Haram talks.

But the source told AFP that Obasanjo had voiced concern about Nigeria’s acceptance of foreign military personnel to help rescue the girls.

Popular Posts

feel